LCA Tejas recently demonstrated its Beyond-Visual-Range missile firing capability. The BVR missile is an air-to-air Derby missile.
About the test:
- The missile launch was performed in “lock-on-after-launch mode” for a BVR target in the look-down mode and the target was destroyed in RADAR guided mode.
- The manoeuvrable aerial target was destroyed with pinpoint precision at ITR, Chandipur.
- The aim of the test was to evaluate the integration of Derby missile with Tejas and its systems. This included on-board systems like avionics, fire-control radar, launchers and missile weapon delivery system, in order to verify its performance.
- The launch was flawless and the test had demonstrated satisfactorily achieving all its planned objectives.
- With this test firing, the Final Operational Clearance of BVR capabilities on LCA Tejas has come closer.
About Derby Missile:
- Derby is a beyond-visual-range (BVR) air-to-air missile (AAM) developed by Rafael Advanced Defence Systems of Israel. It can also be configured as a surface-to-air missile.
- The Derby AAM can be integrated onto a variety of fighter aircraft and can engaging aerial targets from short ranges and near-beyond visual range.
- Rafael Armament Development Authority received a $25m contract in February 2005 to supply 20 Derby BVR missiles and six practice missiles for integration onto the Indian Navy's Sea Harrier aircraft.
- The I-Derby ER has been selected by India to equip the LCA Tejas light combat supersonic fighter.
- The Derby missile has a lightweight design and is equipped with four main wings and four conventional planar fins in the tail assembly.
- It is designed to offer increased operational flexibility and multi-shot capability.
- It has a length of 3.62 m, a wing span of 0.64 m and a diameter of 0.16 m. It weighs 118kg and is armed with a 23kg warhead. The seeker and guidance system are fitted in the front of the missile, while the rocket motor is placed at the rear.
- Powered by a rocket motor, the Derby missile has a speed of Mach 4 and can hit targets at a range of up to 50km. It can be launched at an enemy target under all weather conditions, both during the day and at night.